BY CHRISTINE SERRANO
If you are like me and you are tired of eating the regular fried rice and want to tweak the process just a little bit, then this is for you. The Schezwan sauce is commonly used in Asia. While it is delicious it also has the potential of overpowering a dish, so be careful while putting it in.
Don’t worry it’s nothing complex, with just a few ingredients you can find in your fridge and in your pantry, you can make a delicious Schezwan sauce and refrigerate for up to three months. And you can take a scoop whenever you need it.
Ingredients for Schezwan sauce
· 2 cups dried red chilli
· 1/2 of olive or vegetable cup oil
· ¼ cup garlic, finely chopped
· 2 tbsp, Ginger (finely chopped)
· 1/2 cup of water
· ½ tsp pepper, crushed (Optional)
· 2 tbsp, Vinegar
· 2 tbsp, Soy sauce
· 1 tbsp, Sugar
· Salt to taste
1. Before you start chopping your garlic and ginger, clean and soak the dried red chilli in hot water for 30 minutes or till they are soft.
2. After soaking, sieve out water and blend smoothly, almost like you are making a puree.
3. In a large wok/saucepan, heat up the oil
4. Sauté in onions, garlic and ginger for a minute or two.
5. After this, add in the red chilli paste.
6. Sauté for 2 minutes, so that chilli gets cooked well.
7. Now, add water.
8. Cover and simmer for 15 to 18 minutes.
9. Keep cooking the sauce till the oil floats to the top
10. Once this happens, add in ½ tsp pepper, 2 tbsp vinegar, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp sugar and salt to taste.
11. Mix well making sure everything is combined well.
12. Your sauce is ready.
Spices. | Image: Full of Plants
Now to the fried rice…
· 2 Cups, Cooked rice
· 1 Cup Mixed Vegetables (Carrots, Sweet Corn and Green peas, spring onions, green, red and yellow peppers)
· 1 cup Onion diced
· 1 Cup Beef Liver Cubed or sausages
· 1/2 Tbsp, Thyme
· 1 Tbsp, Curry powder
· 1/2 cup, Chicken/beef stock
· 1 Stock cube
· 3 tbsp, Oil for frying
· Salt to taste
1. Add the parboiled rice to the stock, add thyme and seasoning cubes curry and cook until the water is dried up.
2. Preheat the oil in a pan, throw in the onions and fry for a minute or two, add the mixed vegetables, salt, and seasoning cubes.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of Cchezwan sauce.
4. Add in the rice and stir-fry for about 3 to 5 Minutes.