BY MODUPEOLUWA ADEKANYE
If you grew up in Nigeria you more than likely had the pleasure of eating the native jollof rice. This is often also called concoction. This can be made with different local ingredients to add flavour. Find the recipe and method of cooking below.
- 2 cups, Rice
- Chopped Ugwu vegetable
- 1 tbsp salt
- Seasoning Cubes
- 1 medium sized Onion
- 2 Fresh yellow peppers
- 1 Cup Ponmo cut in pieces
- 1 tbsp, Ground Crayfish
- 1 big Smoked catfish
- 2 Chopped Paprika Chilli
- 1 Chopped Habanero Pepper (known as fresh pepper)
- ¼ cup, Palm Oil
- 1 tbsp Locust beans (Iru)
- Par boil rice and boil pepper mixture (combination of tomato, pepper, and onion) until it is almost dry.
- Blend 10 plum tomatoes, 2 habanero pepper, 1 onion mixture.
- Heat up pot with palm oil, when it is hot, add chopped onions, chopped peppers, locust beans, and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add roughly blended tomato mix, add crayfish, chopped ponmo, smoked catfish (in pieces) and smoked prawns, seasoning cube and salt. Allow this to fry till the oil floats to the top.
- Now add water, enough to cook the rice, and then add the par boiled rice. Stir so that the ingredients will go around, then cover and allow to cook for 20 minutes/till rice is cooked.
Your food is ready.