BY MICHAEL BAMIDELE
Kilishi is a spicy Nigerian beef jerky. It is a popular snack from Northern Nigeria and a dried form of Suya.x
1 kg Beef
1/2 tspn garlic powder
tspn cloves powder 1/2
Pinch ginger powder
Seasoning cubes 2
2 Tbspn Suya spice
1/3 cup oil
● Firstly remove all traces of fats from the beef, cut the beef into very thin fillets.
● In a bowl put seasoning, salt, spices, ginger powder, garlic powder, paprika, cloves powder add oil, and mix.
● Dry the fillet of beef under the sun for at least 6 hours then soak it in the kilishi spice solution, line your oven tray with a baking sheet and lay the pieces of beef flat on it, set your oven at 180°, and bake for 20 minutes.
● In a bowl add your suya spice, pepper, oil, and mix.
● After 20 minutes remove it from the oven and brush it with the suya spice mixture, put it back in the oven, and bake for additional 10-15 minutes,(at this stage, flip it from time to time keep a very good eye on it, else it will become bone dry).
Note: The kilishi will become drier when it has cooled down completely so bear this in mind when deciding the time to bring it out from the oven.