By OREORITSE TARIEMI
An Eastern Nigerian delicacy, Abacha is prepared using dried, shredded cassava.
This African salad can be consumed as a meal or a snack. There are numerous ways to prepare this salad, but the more ingredients you use, the more delicious the dish becomes.
- Ugba or ukpaka
- Palm oil
- Powdered potash
- Garden eggs
- Garden egg leaves, chopped
- Salt and dry pepper (to taste)
- Ground crayfish
- Seasoning cubes
- Ground Ehu seeds (Calabash nutmeg)
- Ogiri or iru
- Fresh utazi leaves
- Boiling water
- First, soak the garden egg leaves in cold water for 10 minutes until it softens, and pour boiling water over it before draining.
- Rinse the ugba with warm water and dissolve the potash, sieving out the water after a while.
- In another pot, stir the potash water with palm oil until it forms a yellowish paste.
- Place this mix on heat, adding ground ehu, pepper, crayfish and seasoning. Next, add crushed stock cubes, diced onions and ugba before taking off the heat.
- Add ogiri, mix, then meat and fish making sure to mix.
- Add the soaked Abacha leaves, and mix, making sure all ingredients blend.
- Add sliced utazi and salt.
- Finally, garnish with chopped garden egg leaves and sliced onions.
Enjoy with a chilled drink.